Sunday, April 19, 2009

Roasted Asparagus


I often wonder if people ever read my blog and ever want to tell me that there are other ways to season food besides salt and pepper. Show me the spices baby! There is a time and a place for spices, I know how to use them, but I am a big fan of minimal spices and letting foods speak for themselves. Everyone can appreciate a simply prepared, well seasoned meal. Generally speaking, salt and pepper is all you need to makes something taste good. Garlic and onions are always good too!
Steamed asparagus is good, but roasted asparagus is great. It takes asparagus to a whole new level. 
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Break the woody stems off the asparagus. If your mother didn't teach you already, you just put the asparagus between your two hands and break it where it naturally breaks, like you are breaking a pencil. Wash the asparagus and thoroughly dry.  Next line out the asparagus in a single layer on a cookie sheet (lined with parchment if you don't like scrubbing). Give the asparagus a couple swirls of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. With your fingers, give the asparagus a light toss so they are all coated evenly.

Put in the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes until tender. You want them a little shriveled but still tender crisp, you cook them too long and they will be stringy.

2 comments:

beckmarsh said...

Those look so great! dh is out of town so we're on a steady diet of fish sticks, mac & cheese, baby carrots and pita sandwiches. I don't feel like cooking for the unappreciative masses...but now I'm wishing I had some asparagus.

beckmarsh said...

Got my asparagus. Made it last night and I'm telling you I that's all I had for dinner. I'm in looooove.