Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mushroom Alfredo sauce


I am still loving the pasta roller. I made some fresh fettucini and whipped up some amazing mushroom alfredo.  Don't like mushrooms? Slap your mouth! You can omit the mushrooms and you have plain old alfredo.  I remember along time ago following a recipe for alfredo and the recipe was basically butter, cream and salt and pepper. I am talking 50 percent butter, 50 percent cream. It was hard for me to eat alfredo after that knowing it was straight fat, and I am not even health or weight conscious! Now this recipe has butter and cream, but it is not 50/50 and it tastes better than the 50/50 varieties.

Mushroom Alfredo

1/2 cup fine diced onion (like half and medium onion)
1-2 cloves of minced garlic
handful of thin sliced mushrooms of any variety you think sounds good.
half a stick of butter
salt and pepper
1/4 c flour
splash of cream
milk (I didn't measure, dang! let's say . . . .2 cups?)
handful of shredded Parmesan cheese.

Saute the onions, garlic and mushroom in the butter until soft and cooked down. Cook on medium as to not burn the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with flour and stir until everything is coated with the flour. Add the milk and splash of cream (you can decide how "lo cal" you want to go). Simmer on medium and continually stir until sauce begins to thicken. Add Parmesan cheese. Don't do the salt taste test till after the parm cheese because it will add more salt to the sauce. Serve with your favorite pasta!

6 comments:

The Mecham Family said...

sounds and looks delicious!

Author said...

Had four loose mushrooms, and tried your recipe. A delicious indeed! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I just did this but added bacon. mmmmmmm!

kai said...

I am mastering my Alfredo sauce and I have a couple of questions.

1. When you say onion, do you mean to say yellow onions or red (or purple) ones.

2. Would it be an overkill if I add Gorgonzola cheese in the sauce? or can you still call it Alfredo if you add this cheese?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely Yummy!!!!!

Iminsanediego said...

I cut out half the butter and substituted with Virgin Coconut Oil. I added 6 cloves of garlic (gotta love garlic) and used half and half and non fat milk. I also used two handfuls of Parmesan cheese... and added broccoli when it was all done. Poured over the pasta....YUM