Saturday, April 11, 2009

Deviled eggs

Turning these into . . . .

These!



Ah the dying of eggs, so fun yet so painful. Boiling the eggs (Martha Stewart says cover the eggs with cold water by one inch. Bring to a boil and cover, remove from heat and let sit for 13 minutes.) My kids were so excited for the whole process, I just hate it. The mess, the prep, the pointlessness of it all. I however was excited the next day to make deviled eggs.
My children love deviled eggs, almost all children love deviled eggs. It is one of the few healthy things children like, so we should all make them more because they are so inexpensive and good for you! Now I hate mayonnaise, a lot.  So I make my deviled eggs with sour cream, and it is oh so good. I know there are lots of recipes where you put all kinds of crazy stuff in a deviled egg, and those actually sound really good, however I have never tried it. My kids would probably cry their eyes to see their blessed deviled eggs and bite into them only to find a jalapeno! So these are basic, but delicious.

Boiled eggs (how ever many you have)
spoonful of sour cream
season salt
fresh pepper
couple pinches of dry mustard
milk

Now you will have to season according to how many yolks you have. Same with with the sour cream and milk. I use a hand mixture to make the yolks smooth, and add milk a tablespoon at a time till the yolks are smooth, but still stiff. Just to be fancy pants, I like to pipe the yolks back into the whites with a pastry bag.

No comments: