Saturday, June 13, 2009

Seven Layer Bean Dip for a Japanese Film Crew






My parent's backyard is pretty famous for their human slingshot. I can't count how many times people have told me they had seen it on youtube or tv, or somebody told them about it. You saw me do it in my rachael ray audition tape. Well the news of the human sling shot spread to Japan, and a camera crew from a major network in Japan asked if they could come out and film the human slingshot. They wanted to film the whole family, so we had a barbecue and made the day out of it.
Somehow, I got roped into being the one to film going on the slingshot. After riding it 6 times, I literally thought I was going to barf, and still feel a little queasy thinking about it! So it will be interesting to see how they put it all together for Japanese TV. I am going to be famous!
So along with the hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob and watermelon I made some seven layer bean dip, but minus a few layers because I don't dig on soggy lettuce, raw onions, or olives in on my dip. I will admit those things make a dip pretty, but not tasty. So this is how I do my seven layer bean dip, minus a few layers.

1-- I use canned black beans that I run through the blender.


2-- Next comes sour cream that I get to room temperature (use the microwave if you can stomach it, I can't) and spread that on.

3-- Next comes simple guacamole. I just mash avocados and season them with salt, pepper a little granulated garlic and cayenne pepper (and lime if I have it). You need at least 4 or 5 ripe avocados.

4-  A few spoonfuls of your favorite salsa, (I have no recommendations, I can my own).

5-- Shredded cheese

6- some chopped tomatoes

See that is almost seven layers! What makes this dip great is the black beans and the absence of lettuce, onions and olives.


I forgot to ask the Japanese if it was oishi (delicious in Japanese) or not. I am sure they loved it.

No comments: