Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What to do with left over mash potatoes

As a lot of cooks do, I have a fear of not having enough food. Who cares if my fly is down, or my boob falls out of my swimsuit, that I can live with. I can't live with running out of food at a get together.  That being said, I always have leftovers.  This Sunday, I had quite a bit of mashed potatoes left over. So for dinner the next night, I made some potato pancakes with the leftovers, to go with the chili that I made with the left over roast beef. I have never done this before, but they turned out really good. All the amounts that you put in will depend on how much potatoes you have. It doesn't really matter, just do "a little of this, a little of that."

Potato pancakes:

left over mashed potatoes
handful of shredded cheese
1-2 eggs
1/2 c ish flour
4-5 T cream cheese
splash of season salt
pepper

more egg
panko bread crumbs
vegetable oil

Mix together the first 5 ingredients. Add enough flour to make the potatoes fairly stiff.  Form a patty with you hands, dip in egg then dip in the panko bread crumbs. Now I pre-made these and put them in the fridge till it was time to cook them at dinner. I think it was nice to have them chilled because they were more cement. I put about a 1/4 inch of oil in a skillet and fried them on both sides. Then I served them hot with a little ketchup; they would probably go good with a whole host of condiments, ranch dressing, sour cream, salsa . . . .

1 comment:

beckmarsh said...

MMMMMM. Those look so great! Perfect with mini meat loaves, I'm thinking.