Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sauteed Artichokes


I love love articokes. I put them in all kind of recipes, and I love to eat them plain. Steamed artichokes dipped in butter . . . mmmmm. Too bad the little brats are so expensive! Every once and a while you find fresh artichokes at a good sale price (2 for a dollar would be what I consider a good price), and that is a good day. We all know that when we eat artichokes leaf by leaf, we are just paying our dues so we can get to what we really want, the heart! So tonight I said, to heck with it, I am going straight for the heart, it was worth it, and I only felt a little guilty.

So next time you see some cheap artichokes buy them, and instead of steaming them, do what I did. First pull off all the leaves and cut out the choke (the furry part) with a paring knife. Shave off anything green on the outside so what you have left is just beige. Once you have the beautiful round heart, quarter it. Add a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil to a saute pan. Add the hearts to the heated butter/oil and season with salt and pepper. Just before they are tender enough, add one or two minced garlic cloves. Once you can pierce the hearts with a fork, they are ready.
You will probably feel a lot more guilty than I did when you eat them, they are that good. I have learned to hide my shame . . . .

No comments: