Thursday, February 12, 2009

chicken strips



So tonight I made a classic Persian recipe that is pretty unique and popular in my family. I took all these pictures of the dinner but when it came time for blogging, I realized I didn't have the memory chip in the camera. No pictures, no recipe, sorry folks.  However, I won't just love and leave you, I did make some baked chicken strips for the kiddos earlier this week, so here ya go . . . .

So these look enormous in the picture, but they are just the regular chicken tenders. We dipped them in ranch dressing and the kids loved them.

Ingredient list:
2 c panko bread crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
1/3 c flour
2 t salt
1 t pepper
1/4 t cayenne pepper (optional, if your kids are super sensitive to spice, my kids kinda are but they have to suffer anyway)
1 T paprika
1 garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/3 c flax meal (I measured 1/3 c flax seeds and ground them in my blender)

Combine the above ingredients in a ziplock bag.

2 lbs chicken tenders
2 eggs beaten

Dip the chicken tenders in the eggs then drop into the ziplock and shake to coat. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a cookie sheet in OVOO and line the sheet with the chicken. Brush the tops of the chicken with more oil. Place chicken in the top half of the oven and cook for about 30 minutes, flipping half way through till they are brown and crispy.
 Don't get me wrong, they are good, but the kids are going to like the fried ones better, so you can pan fry them in like 2 inches of oil, or deep fat fry them. The flax seed gives them a good crunch and added nutrition, but they do make it taste a little more earthy ( I like earthy), it can be easily omitted.



No comments: