Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mexican Beef




Its good to be eating beef again. Fairb is back in town! I can say however, whenever he goes on a long trip, it is sort of anti climatic when he returns. Kind of like crying on your birthday. I have it built up in my head that life is going to be so easy when he returns, but as he goes into his office after dinner to write the ten millionth email, while all the kids are biting at my waist as I do the dishes,  it doesn't feel much different. I can say the bed is much warmer when he's around, and I love it!
This recipe I have adopted into my family. I make it all the time, it has become one of my top 20 most loved and most made dishes (oooh, I should make a top 20 list!) My friend Rebecca taught it to me. Her mother is from Mexico, so this is the real thing folks, you are going to love it, I promise.  She'll probably read this and say, "That's not the recipe,  the woman is nuts."  So this is generally it, I am too lazy to pull out a recipe she gave me to actually follow it; sorry folks.

Ingredient list
2-3 lbs beef (from the cheapest to the expensive, your choice, its slow cooked so you can get away with cheap, please don't use ground, I beg you!)
1 medium onion fine diced
4 garlic cloves minced
2 t cumin
salt and pepper
1-2 T beef base
a little water
2, 15 oz cans of tomato sauce
4-5 serrano peppers

This is most easily cooked in a slow cooker, but first you must brown the meat and saute the onions. So in batches brown the meat (if you do it all at once, it won't brown properly, rather it will "steam")  a hot skillet (use a little oil) along with the onions. While browning, liberally salt and pepper.  Put all the browned meat and onions into the slow cooker. Add a little beef base and a little water (like a 1/3 c). Add garlic and cumin. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-9 hours. Half way through, add the tomato sauce and the serrano peppers. Add them whole, if the peppers are cooked too long, or if they get too hot, they will burst and making it very spicy.  Discard the peppers before serving. The meat should be very tender and savory.

Serve in burritos, tacos, enchiladas, with beans and rice. This makes the best leftovers. Make double and freeze it, it is the perfect freezer food.

2 comments:

Spencer, Erin, Parker and Ben said...

So I haven't read blogs since, well since Ben was born but I finally got on and read your whole stinkin blog and wow, okay so I am definitely going to try your receipes. Though I have to say the reason I got on here in the first place is because I saw Summer recently and she told me to look at your blog and your pictures of your time in Japan. I laughed out loud. I remember the days. So funny. I'm sad we missed the big Christmas shin dig. Especially your food and Spencer was impressed with the igloo camping. He loves the stuff. I'll wait til summer thanks!

JessWilson said...

Hi! This meat looks amazing and something I'll definitely try but was wondering what the recipe is for the rice that it's on top of in your picture. I've been looking for a good spanish rice recipe so would love if you would share yours. Thanks!