Monday, March 2, 2009

I hope my kids learn to love good food one day like I did

When I was a kid I hated fish. More than I hated fish, I hated the rice my mother would make when she made fish. Today I love fish, and I love the rice my mother would make when she made fish. My children are constantly complaining about my food, they hate just about everything that I love. Because my food is the source of my ego, I have recently put in place a new rule, you complain about food, you go to your room. Interesting, unlike my childhood self, my children like fish, but they did not like the rice that I made to go with the fish. However, you will like the rice, because you are a grown up.

Orange Rice

Ingredient list:
2 oranges zested and juiced
1 med onion fine diced
1 garlic clove minced
1 cup shredded carrots
1 1/2 c uncooked rice
1/4 c ish sugar
salt and pepper

Cook the rice according to the instructions. Meanwhile, saute the onions, carrots, orange zest and garlic in a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Once onions are tender, add the sugar and orange juice.  Simmer until orange reduces. Taste, it should taste fairly sweet, but not dessert like. Once rice is done, combine it with the sauce.

1 comment:

jennmom2000 said...

I have been wanting this recipe for years! I had it when I went to Lake Powell with you all in 1994 (when Brig was just tiny). Its so good. Thanks for posting the recipe. I will make it soon.