Sunday, March 22, 2009

curry in a hurry



Last night at about 7 pm I began to crave Japanese curry.  Curry in Japan is very common, its kind like the kraft mac and cheese of America. It is quick and it is cheap.  They call it kuri raisu. If you read that right, it would sound like curry rice but with a Japanese accent.
When I was in Japan (need I post the pictures again) the family ate a lot of curry rice for dinner. One night after a whole week of the same pot of curry, I saw my Japanese mom get out a package of spaghetti noodles. What joy! We were going to have good old America spaghetti! To my disappointment when were putting the curry over the noodles instead of the usual rice. I went put to my room and secretly cried in my pillow.
That experience however, did not ruin curry rice for me. I still love it.  It truly is curry in a hurry and it is also a great vegetarian option (you can however make it with meat, I like it without). So the first thing you have to do is go to the store and buy this box:


Golden curry is sold at most all groceries stores in the oriental section. If my piddly grocery store in Springville has it, most grocery stores will have it.  You could follow the instructions on the back . . . if you can read JAPANESE!
Ingredient list:
1 small onion diced
1 big potato scrubbed and diced
big handful of baby carrots

3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 pkg golden curry

Heat a sauce pan with a little oil and give the onions a quick saute. Add the potatoes and carrots and add stock. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes and carrots are very tender. Add curry bricks and stir until the curry creates a gravy. Serve over rice. If you want to be truly Japanese, don't eat it with chops sticks, eat it with a big spoon!

No comments: