Sunday, December 14, 2008

Stir Fry Dinner

Healthy, yummy vegetables . . . .mmmmmmm.....

I cooked a stir fry today for Sunday Dinner. Stir fry for Sunday dinner doesn't seem right. I felt like the mother in "The Christmas Story" when they had to go the Chinese Restaurant on Christmas Day when the hounds got her turkey. Sunday dinner should involve some sort of potato right? However, a beef stir fry is one of my top favorites, and all the grandparents were out of town, so it was just me and the family. This is simple and healthy.

Ingredients:

Thin sliced steak
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c rice wine vinegar
2 T oil
1 t hot chili sauce (or rooster sauce, see picture)
2 garlic cloves minced
2 T dried onions or green onions

Add all the above ingredients together and allow the meat to marinade for about 30 minutes (not in the fridge, on the counter you want the meat to come to room temp)

Get some water boiling to cook some THIN spaghetti noodles (you got to get thin!) If I were to measure how much to use, clench a diameter's worth that would be the same circumference of a 50 piece. Rinse the noodles once they are done and set aside.

While your noodles are boiling, cut up whatever veggies you want for your stir fry, but you cannot neglect a yellow onion and 2 garlic cloves minced, they are important. I like, red pepper, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, cabbage, bean sprouts, shelled edamae (you can buy frozen shelled edamae at Smith's).

You need two pans, one to cook the meat on and one to stir fry my veggies. I used my stove top griddle for the meat, and my wok for the veggies. For the meat you don't want it be crowded, so if you don't have a stove top griddle, use you largest frying pan. Get both pans smoking hot! Add about2 T of vegetable oil to both. Make sure the pans are really hot (notice I said it twice? its important) so when you add the vegetables it kind of makes you fear for your life it sizzles so loud. Give everything a toss, and cover with the lid. Put the meat on (pulling it out of any extra liquid), spread it around in the pan. Back to the veggies, lift the lid and give them another toss or two, and cover again. Back to the meat; move it around flip and such, and back the veggies for another toss. By this time the meat should be pretty dang close to being done, so remove from the hot stove and onto a plate. Check your veggies again, how do they look? Starting to cook. Remember, you want them tender crisp! Once they are at the beginning stages of tender crisp, add the meat and the noodles. Now some seasonings, add 1/4 c soy sauce, and 3 to 4 T of oyster flavored sauce (don't be scared, it doesn't taste like oysters, although I love oysters!) Now let me note, its not like I am measuring all this, I just PUT stuff in. So you have to taste it and say, "hmmm, still needs something . . ." Serve it with rice, steamed edamae, and some rooster sauce (for those who want to add a little spice) and it will be loved, I guarantee it.







No comments: