Saturday, January 3, 2009

primary activity

Oh relief. A successful primary quarterly activity behind me. We are eating boxed mac and cheese after that (ok, that's a lie, I won't eat boxed mac and cheese the kids are eating it and I am eating a piece of homemade lasagna I had stashed in the freezer).The activity was really good (if I don't say so myself). This year's  theme is "My Eternal Family" so the activity was a kick-off the the new theme.  We had the kids come in the PJ's (a tradition started last year) and the concept of the activity was for the children to prepare a family home evening packet for their families. So we taught them how to teach a lesson, helped them prepare a game, taught them to lead a song, and helped them prepare a cookie mix for the FHE treat.  We split the tasks between my incredible presidency, and they all did some awesome stuff. Which part do you think I was in charge of? The treat of course.
I got some clear plastic bags to have the children put the ingredients into, then tied them off with a twisty and and attached the instructions on how to prepare the cookies, and on the opposite side printed "recipe for a heavenly home" that I got off the church's website . I cut the recipe out with my cricut in the shape of a house (got a new cricut for Christmas from my mom and I am getting a little obsessive, you should see my sharing time on the Plan of Salvation tomorrow, went a tad bit over board with the cricut,  the machine isn't the only thing I got from my mother..... OCD). A Cookie made like this isn't the best tasting cookie (this is) but it served its purpose, and the kids were thrilled with the concept.  Every kid got to measure their own ingredients, so sorry parents if you cookies are horrible, it was kind of crazy having a bunch of kids around the table talking to you at the same time!

To make about 15 cookies this is what I  had them measure:

1 1/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c chocolate chips

When they go home they were instructed to blend together 1/2 c butter or margarine (1 stick), 1 egg, and 1 t vanilla. Then add cookie mix and combine. Drop teaspoon size balls on a cookie sheet, for best results chill for 10 minutes before baking. Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.

No comments: