Thursday, January 1, 2009

Partied Out!

It has been a great holiday. Non stop fun, constant playing. I have had a nice big dose of family and I am full, no dessert thank you! Last night we rang in the new year with the banging of pots, grandpa's fireworks show and cold duck. When we said it was time for the toast and we all just drank sparkling apple juice, my daughter Alta said, "I wanted toast!"  We skied all day yesterday.


Kayler, Porter, and Alta about to drop into Bishop's Bowl and Sundance Ski Resort, skiing the black diamonds!

On the way home we stopped costco for some party supplies (aka food). I made a beef stir fry  and I made this . . .

Don't know what this is? It is seared tuna. Give it to someone and they will love it, then tell them it is semi-raw fish and they will just die! (trust me, I did it to a few kids) If you love seared tuna, then you will love this!

Step one: buy fresh fresh ahi tuna (costco).
Step two: rinse it with cold cold water.
Step three: slice against the grain with a sharp sharp knife.
Step four: let it get to room temp before you cook it, say it twice.
Step five: mix 1/3 c soy sauce, 1/4 c rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon of chili paste and 2 T oil together.
Step six: get your cast iron or non-stick pan smoking smoking hot.
Step seven: drop a little oil in your smoking smoking hot pan.
Step eight: drop your sliced tuna into you marinade (step 5).
Step nine: drop your tuna into your smoking smoking hot pan.
Step ten: before you can even say, wow that pan is hot! slide your tuna off onto a plate and serve.  You literally want them on there for 30 seconds or less. You want it barely seared, mostly raw. Notice I repeated myself sometimes? That is because those things are so so important.  
Don't like raw tuna? Go to Happy Sumo order their Tuna Tataki, eat it, love it. Then try my quite different recipe, eat it, love it.
I know I never got around to blogging about Christmas, but I will leave you with a picture of a boy who really believes in Santa. He sat on his lap and talked his ear off, then he interrupted Santa mid sentence, "Santa I have a song for you!" Followed by a rousing rendition of, "Santa Clause Is Coming to Town."


No comments: