Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Soy Glazed Salmon


I hope all you in the cooking work like to invent food, nothing is more fun! I am good at inventing, but not so good at naming, and not so good at remembering what I did.  I guess I won't be writing a cook book any time soon. Tonight we had an Asian inspired salmon fillet, with fried rice. So here is what I did for the salmon. I used a fresh sockeye salmon fillet with the skin on, but any salmon would work I assume.  While the saute pan heated up, I rinsed the fish in cold water and patted it dry. Then I sprinkled it with kosher salt, then liberally sprinkled it with brown sugar.  Now normally I would put the fish skin side up, but with the sugar in play putting it skin side up would burn the sugar. So I put it skin side down.  Meanwhile, I combined about 1/4 c soy sauce and 2 T of rice vinegar, and 2 T rice wine.  Just as the fish started to go opaque  I flipped it over for about a minute to give the fleshy side a little sear, then I flipped it back over and poured the sauce over it.  By now, it should be about time to turn off the fish and let it rest with the lid on, you will have to be the judge on that one. Then I finished it off with a little lemon and sesame seeds. I served it over some fried rice (which you will have to tune in for the recipe later). All and all a tasty dish and a good way to cook salmon!


No comments: