Monday, November 10, 2008

Your body is screaming for this!

Have you ever heard people say that after you add all the toppings and dressing to a salad that its not even that healthy? That is a defamation of character, and the salad should sue! Put all the ranch dressing you want! Getting those raw, whole foods into your belly makes your body so happy, who cares how you got it down. Make a big salad and serve every night of the week at your dinner table. Even if you your kids won't eat it, they will watch you it and one day their body might just get the salad itch. . . .

Tonight, I served my green salad with the meal that probably millions of American families sat down to tonight. Spaghetti and meatballs!

Spaghetti is the classical meal that is quick and a kid pleaser. This was the first meal I ever learned to make. My family still recounts me at 5 years old making spaghetti for the family. It was the meal I requested on my birthday, to be eaten on the "you are special today" red plate. To this day, I make it at least twice a month and I love it. I make extras for lunch leftovers. When I was five, would cook the ground beef then pour in the jar of spaghetti sauce.(along with a few extra spices, including sugar) . Now, in my adulthood, I have upgraded to meatballs.
I will say, I'm not sure I have mastered the meatball (so any comments of the masterful meatball would be great, I am always striving for perfection!) but here is what I do.
1.5 lb lean ground beef
1 egg
1 clove garlic minced
2 t salt
1 t pepper
few dashes basil
couple dashes oregano
dash cayenne pepper
2 or 3 T Parmesan cheese
handful of bread crumbs
I mix it all together with my hands and shape into balls. I brown them a little, then I pour the bottled spaghetti sauce over the meatballs and simmer them for about 15-20 minutes.

I can't wait for my leftover lunch.

No comments: