Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie


Tonight, the American classic, chicken pot pie. My husband, was a vegetarian when we married. Me, the lover of all foods knew that this just would not do. Although I added many vegetarian dishes to my reptuare I just couldn't cook for a vegetarian; imagine all those amazing dishes . . . . wasted. So, I suggested to him that I'd stop drinking coke if he would eat meat once a month. He choose beef because he had a ethical struggle with chicken, (or something like that, in one ear and out the other, if you know what I mean). So the deal was sealed. I went off the drink, and he started to eat beef once a month.Being the cunning person I am, I knew he would love my meat, and he did. (insert evil, diabolical laugh) Once a month became quite more frequent, and now he craves it. As for me, I fell off the wagon and drink 1 or 2 cokes a day. He threatens vegetarianism occasionally, but I know he could never follow through (insert laugh again). Although, he, to this day will not eat chicken, turkey or pork. But he cannot deny the chicken pot pie . . .

Leftover roasted chicken and gravy

1-2 potatoes diced

2 big carrots diced

1 onion diced

1 big handful frozen corn

1 big handful frozen peas

1 can chicken stock

butter

flour

salt and pepper

thyme

season salt

milk

pie crust

In a sauce pan melt the butter (as much as you are comfortable with 2 T at least) and add the carrots, potatoes and onion saute a little then add a sprinkle of flour (1/4 c ish) then add peas, corn and chicken stock. Simmer till potatoes are almost tender, check the liquid levels add some milk if necessary. Add salt pepper and season salt to taste, and a couple sprinkles of thyme. add the chicken and gravy till all mixed together and tasting good, (doesn't taste like much? add some salt!) You want it kind of soupy and runny, otherwise you chicken pot pie will be dry. That is where the milk comes in.

Put your filling in your desired baking dishes (notice I had some individual size ones for the kiddies) and top with a pie crust. Make it look pretty and add some slits for the steam to escape. Paint the crust with an egg wash, (whisk and egg and use a pastry brush)

Then bake in the oven about 30 min at 350 till nice and browned and bubbly.

What kind of pie crust should I use do you ask? Well you could use a store bought crust, or you could use the easiest, yummiest, fool proof pie crust recipe. My friend Lori taught me this pie crust and its perfection. However, you will have to wait for my, "12 days of thanksgiving" for the recipe to be revealed . . . . stay tuned.

No comments: