Sunday, November 9, 2008

Surprise guests on sunday



First call of the morning was from my brother-in-law, t-dog, "you got any room for us at Sunday dinner?" Despite having to get out of bed to answer the call, I cheerfully said, "of course." During church I got a text message from my next brother, "wife out of town, have enough food for us?" to which I text back, "come on up."
So that was a total of 12 extra guests up for Sunday dinner. No biggie. I relish in it. Good thing I always put plenty of meat on.
The roast, the foundation of the Sunday dinner, and the building blocks to countless other meals (of which you will learn on this blog). So read on to learn how to do a fool proof, tasty roast. . . .
First, buying the roast ( do I even need to say it? costco). I buy the round eye roast, but I call it the triangle roast, because it is shaped like a triangle with fat on one side. I always buy this roast because I like the the fat on one side, so you can roast it with the fat to make it moist, but you cut off the fat before you serve it. Second, (1) Put you roasts in your roasting pan (one with a lid) with fat side sideways. Salt and pepper the crap outof it. Put in the oven at 450 and get in nice and browned (2). Once it is browned add, two or three crushed garlic cloves, a healthy sprinkle of dried onion, five or six bay leaves, 2 or 3 tablespoons of beef base, and enough water to half way- 2/3 covering the roast (3). Put it in the oven at 275 for 5-6 hours ( don't have that kind of time? aka 9 am church-- 325 degrees for 3-4 hours)
(4). You will have a nice dark broth that you will not have to add anything but a thickening agent to for gravy (5). It will be super moist and fall apart, just waiting to be scooped up with mash potatoes and gravy (6).

Master this and you will be able to make many meals to please your family, not just the sunday dinner.

No comments: