Sunday, September 6, 2009

Julie and Juila



Ok so I am officially the last food blogger on earth to see Julie and Juila. I finally went out last night with a group of chatty ladies to see it (love you all). We also tried the restaurant, Terra Mia, which is across from the new movie theatre from Costco.
The movie:
I had high yet low expectations for the movie. High expectations because it got great reviews and so many of you food bloggers out there loved it. I had low expectation because the book was so painfully boring, there is hardly FOOD in the book and Julie Powell is kind of obnoxious and I really wasn't interested in her weird friends and her crappy apartment. Plus, as stated before, she drops way to many F-bombs to be that boring of a read. Also the book has nearly nothing in it about Julia Child, just some letters about her, and of course the concept of cooking from her book.
The movie however was FABULOUS! I laughed the whole time, and Myrle Streep was incredible. It made me want to rush home, get me a first edition of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", cook Beef Bourguignon, and watch the "The French Chef". All the while saving my pennies so I can ship myself off to Paris to attend Le Cordon Bleu.
The restaurant, Terra Mia was not French, it was Italian, and from the looks of it, very authentic Italian! It was VERY delicious. The great news is, it is not a chain but family restaurant, and everyone was speaking Italian in the back. I can't even tell you what I had, because it was the special, and I couldn't pronounce it, but it was pasta with a red sauce that had a smoky hint of bacon, and I loved it. They also have Neapolitan style pizza and gourmet salads. I didn't try the gelato, but it looked really good. The other great thing is that its not a sit down restaurant, its a go up and order then sit down and they bring you your food. So it is a great place to go before a movie. I recommend indeed.
For now, lets get cooking some French food. Ok, maybe not, French food is so complicated, I once saw a chef demonstrate how to make gravy the French way, its was like 10 days later you have gravy (ok, exaggeration, but it was complicated), just thicken the pan drippings with some water and flour already and be done with it, sheesh! So instead, lets go eat some french food and then watch "The French Chef" reruns. We'll make plans over lunch at Terra Mia.

No comments: