Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day



I love to go to the Provo Cemetery on Memorial Day. It is so beautiful to see all the mums and fresh cut lilacs scattered over the ground. 
I even know any dead people, but I love to go anyway. Normally, I go with my parents because my mom's dad was buried there after he killed in plane crash when she was 12. Her grand parents are also buried there. So those are the graves we always visit. This year I had the children pick wildflowers from our yard. We put the flowers in mason jars and headed to the cemetery.
Can you believe this is my view? I am so lucky, that's our new dog Rock . . .Rock Obama

For the first time both Fairb and my parents are out of town. That is no reason not to celebrate, so I went alone with the kids.  Because of this, I had no idea how to find the tomb stones.  Find the freaky lady tombstone with the weeping eyes, go north east. We wandered and wandered and wandered. The kids were getting a little testy, so I said, just put your flowers on a sad looking grave with no flowers. Which they did and we proceeded back to the car. Just as we were leaving, ancestory! Parley Larsen (my great uncle) right before our feet. I shuffled the kids to go "retrieve" their flowers off the sad little graves, we found family!


1 comment:

summer said...

I am finally checking in! It has been a while! I love this story, true Natalie style - made me laugh!
Hey, I have been meaning for quite some time to share this blog of my friend with you. You have a similar passion for making and eating food! Thought you might like to check it out. pizzaandrootbeer.blogspot.com