Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Let's use up those carrots shall we?

Photobucket
Seeing how I'm not buying packaged goods anymore, I've got to make more wholesome snacks to have around the house, these carrot muffins are perfect, this is merely a wholesome twist to the best carrot cake ever. I can report, that Porter at a whole wheat muffin, and liked it (after he pulled off at the nuts of course)

Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins

2 1/2 c whole wheat flour (fresh ground if you fancy)
2 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
dash of nutmeg

1 c sugar
1 stick butter
3/4c buttermilk
1 t vanilla
2 c grated carrots
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple

combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Cream together butter and sugar, add remaining ingredients. Note: instead of just grating the carrots, I put them in the blender to make them fine (I have a vitamix, I don't know what a crappy blender could do) I also blend the pineapple.

Spoon the muffin mixture into buttered muffin tins, optionally top with some chopped pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-15 minutes, until a toothpick comes clean.

1 comment:

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

I made these and they were great! Love the spice & hint of pineapple flavour.

Question: Did you drain the can of pineapple first? Mine were a bit wet so didn't last long :( Thanks for the delicous recipe!